Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spinach Pesto Alfredo

I'm a creamy pesto kind of gal. There used to be an Italian restaurant near where we live that we loved to go to on special occasions - anniversaries, birthdays, etc. My husband always ordered pesto. It was creamy and had the most wonderful flavor. I always ordered Parmesan chicken and sometimes we'd share so we got to try both. The place closed down a couple of years ago and I've really missed it! I've been trying to replicate the flavor of that creamy pesto for a long time. I think this recipes comes real close - and we were so excited! I know it's going on our list of family favorites. As you can see in the picture, we served it over spaghetti squash, with a little lemon chicken on the side. But you could serve it over any pasta and it would be wonderful! 


This recipe is an adaptation of the spinach pesto recipe from The finer things club. I started with her pesto ingredient and blended them in a blender.

Here's what the pesto looked like when it was all done

Then I combined the pesto with a cream sauce I made in the saucepan.

Here's the recipe! Enjoy!

Spinach Pesto Alfredo Sauce 


*Serves 3-4


1 Cup of firmly packed fresh spinach leaves
1 tsp. of dried basil
1/2 Cup parmesan or romano cheese
1/4 Cup of walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts
1 large clove of garlic, quartered
1/4 tsp. of salt
1/4 Cup of olive oil  
¼ Cup butter
½ 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 Cup milk (or cream or half and half)

Combine the spinach, basil, Parmesan cheese, nuts, garlic, salt and olive oil in a blender. Cover and blend with several on-off-terns until a paste consistency forms, stopping several times to scrape the sides.

In a saucepan over med-low heat melt the butter. Add cream cheese and melt. Add milk and turn up the heat a bit and heat to boiling until the cream sauce is nice and thick. Then add the pesto sauce from the blender, stir and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over pasta or spaghetti squash. Serve with chicken or fresh bread, if desired.



Linked to: Full Plate ThursdaysIt's a Keeper ThursdayWhat's cooking ThursdayTasty TuesdaysCast Party WednesdayTuesdays Tasty TidbitsBaking, Sweet TemptationsTastetastic ThursdaySee You in the Gumbo

6 comments:

carolinaheartstrings said...

This looks so wonderful. I love pesto. Come visit us. We have a terrific beef and barley stew today!

Christine M said...

Hopping over from It's a Keeper. Great recipe.

Michelle said...

Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo. I'm glad you joined in this week! A gal after my own heart--I prefer creamy pesto too.

Miz Helen said...

Your Spinach Pesto Alfredo looks wonderful and I love it on top of the Spaghetti Squash, it looks delicious. Hope you are having a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

momto8 said...

i make something similar...yum..and always a family favorite...the spinach adds the nutrients too!! Your pictures look very tempting.
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

PERMANENT POSIES said...

I am just now looking at last weeks entries to Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. I love the look of this one. I go to a party on St.Patrick's Day called "The Green Thing" and we have to bring green food. I think I will try your green food. Yum!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails